By: ALEXIS BLANDINE
Some vegetables have a bad rep before they even cross the threshold, and kale is definitely one of them. There are only so many ways that you can try to disguise and maneuver a recipe before you have to face the cold hard facts-it’s still a vegetable. However, kale chips are a new craze that is making people look at this forest green cruciferous leaf in a whole new light. While I’m not going to sit here and tell you it takes away your desire to ever eat a potato chip again- it is good in its own way to satisfy that light crunch you crave without the grease and stomach aches you may get after eating chips. If you need any other reasons to get up and make these little delights, kale hits the ball out of the park in terms of health perks while the ordinary potato chips are striking out. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Kale is a standout star in terms of antioxidants, fiber, as well as Vitamins A, C and K.
Kickin’ Kale Chips
- 1 head kale (ripped or cut into 1-1 ½ inch pieces, thoroughly washed and dried)
- 1 ½ T olive oil
- 1 T salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 2 T parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300 F
2. Remove the ribs of the kale and rip into pieces. Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Adding the other optional ingredients if desired.
3. Lay on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the chips are crisp, occasionally turning to keep from burning.
It’s a very simple recipe that spices up the boring, dorky vegetable to become the bad-boy of the leafy greens. It’s also very addictive-don’t be surprised if you eat the whole thing!
Sealed with a kiss of Nutella,